An isolated band of indigenous peoples living quietly along the Peru-Brazil border emerged in early June, seeking aid for health issues. Disturbing evidence of violence against this group is now surfacing, proposing that many of their elders were murdered and their houses set on fire. World War 4 reports:
The majority of old people were massacred by non-Indians in Peru, who shot at them with firearms and set fire to the houses of the uncontacted. They say that many old people died and that they buried three people in one grave. They say that so many people died that they couldn’t bury them all and their corpses were eaten by vultures.
The group is thought to have fled from drug trafficking and illegal logging. First contact was caught on video, where three young members trade bananas and other goods. Leaders in Brazil’s indigenous affairs office proclaim a need for urgent protection for these individual groups and their lands.
Survival International director Stephen Corry said: “It’s vital that Brazil and Peru immediately release funds for the full protection of uncontacted Indians’ lives and lands. Their economic growth is coming at the price of the lives of their indigenous citizens—now, their newfound wealth must be used to protect those few uncontacted tribes that have so far survived the ongoing genocide of America’s first people.”
The Kukama march to the city of Iquitos to protest against toxic waste left behind by more than 40 years of oil contamination in their territories. Photograph by Deborah Rivett/The Arkana Alliance
Peruvian officials have met with representatives of hundreds of indigenous people from the country’s Amazon rainforest after they threatened to go on hunger strike in protest at what they say is government failure to aid communities affected by oil contamination.
For almost two weeks, around 500 Kukamas were camped in a square in Iquitos – the biggest city in Peru’s Amazon – after travelling from their homes along the River Marañón, by boat and on foot.
June 22, 2014. Source: WW4 Report
Photo from peruviantimes.com
Gregorio Santos, regional president of Cajamarca in northern Peru, was ordered to turn himself in for “preventative” imprisonment by a local anti-corruption prosecutor on June 17. The prosecutor, Walter Delgado, said Santos is under investigation by Peru’s Public Ministry for “illicit association” and bribery, although no details were provided. (La Republica, June 17) The left-wing Santos has been an outspoken opponent of the US-backed Conga mining project in Cajamarca. With Santos’ support, the Conga site has for months been occupied by peasant protesters who oppose the mine project. A major mobilization was held at the site on June 5, to commemorate World Environment Day. (Celedín Libre, June 7) Continue reading
Source: Caravana Climática por América Latina
If you haven’t heard of this project yet- the Climate Caravan thru Latin America is cross-continental climate action-tour, documenting climate crisis hotspots from northern Mexico to South America, organizing public events and promoting campaigns that are resisting the root causes of climate change throughout Latin America.
The Caravana Climática has been on the road for 3 months now, and we’re finishing up our first route MesoAmerica Resiststhat has taken us through Mexico and Central America.
Along the way, we’ve been connecting and collaborating with various groups and communities on the front-lines of the climate crisis- From communities resisting mining and dam projects in their region, to groups and organizations promoting food security and autonomy projects in rural and urban Latin America- our work has led us to document with video, photo, and audio recordings of some of the most relevant and pressing climate change issues in the region.
Our goal is to make it to the COP20- the 20the Conference of the Parties- the United Nations summit on Climate Change, to be held in Lima, Peru, in December. This has not been an easy endeavor… Continue reading
By David Hill, March 13, 2014. Source: Upside Down World
Photo: Rainforest Foundation Norway
Oil and gas company Repsol is selling its stake in controversial oil operations in a remote part of the Peruvian Amazon inhabited by indigenous people in ‘voluntary isolation’ (IPVI), just across the border from the ITT oil fields in Ecuador.
Repsol’s move follows an investigation by the Council on Ethics within Norway’s Finance Ministry which, according to Norwegian sources, recommended the Ministry divest from the company because of its operations in this region.
The decision by Repsol to sell its stake was revealed in a report by Peru’s state oil and gas licensing agency, Perupetro, which stated that a Repsol Peru subsidiary is selling 50% of Lot 39, as the oil concession is called, to Perenco.
Repsol spokesperson Gonzalo Velasco Perez confirms the sale, saying, ‘In November Repsol started the process of ceding the 50% of the rights in Lot 39 in Peru to Perenco. The process hasn’t finished yet and will take a few more months.’
By David Hill, February 25, 2014. Source: The Guardian
A Matsigenka woman in south-east Peru where the Camisea gas project is taking place. Photograph: Glenn Shepard
Three Peruvian judges are scheduled to meet on 1 April following a lawsuit filed to stop a gas consortium from operating in a reserve in the Amazon created for indigenous peoples living in “initial contact” and “voluntary isolation.”
There are already wells in the west of the reserve where gas has been produced for years, and last month the Energy Ministry approved the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the expansion of operationsinvolving more wells, a pipeline extension and seismic tests further to the north, east and south.
The lawsuit was filed against the Energy Ministry and the company leading the consortium, Pluspetrol, in August 2013 by the Lima-basedInstitute for the Legal Defence of the Environment and Sustainable Development (IDLADS). It asks the judge to order, among other things, the Energy Ministry to rescind its approval of the expansion and to ban all oil and gas operations in the reserve:
We request that [the judge] orders the Ministry of Energy and Mines to exclude the Kugapakori-Nahua-Nanti and Others’ Reserve from any kind of promotion, exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons. Continue reading
February 8, 2014. Source: WW4 Report
Peruvian police block the way to people carrying the coffins of three of the demonstrators who died during the protests against the Conga mining project in Celendin, Cajamarca, Peru, on July 6, 2013. Source: Ernesto Benavides/AFP/GettyImages
EarthRights International (ERI) on Jan. 24 filed an action in federal court in Denver on behalf of a protestor left paralyzed by police violence at the site of Colorado-based Newmont Mining‘s Conga mine project in Peru. ERI is seeking documents and information from Newmont to assist in pending legal proceedings in Peru related to the police repression of protestors against the Conga project.
Elmer Eduardo Campos Álvarez, a 32-year-old resident of the Cajamarca department, where the Conga project is planned, lost a kidney and his spleen and was paralyzed from the waist down on Nov. 29, 2011, when National Police officers shot him in the back while he was peacefully protesting. Campos was among at least 24 protestors injured by police that day.
The Yanacocha mining company, Newmont’s local subsidiary, contracted with the National Police of Peru to provide security services at the planned mine site.Officers involved in the repression of November 2011 have told local prosecutors that they were providing security to the company. The proposed Conga mine has generated strong community opposition; the project would mean the destruction of lakes held sacred by local people, who also depend on them as a water source. Continue reading
January 20, 2014. Source: Forest Peoples Programme
An aerial view of the Mipaya gas exploration camp, part of the Camisea project in the Amazon jungle near Cuzco, Peru. Photo: Cris Bouroncle /AFP/Getty Images
Oxford, UK – A Forest Peoples Programme report published today reveals the severe impacts of Peru’s biggest gas project on indigenous peoples in “voluntary isolation” (isolated peoples) in the Amazon, including epidemics, disease and forced and hostile contacts caused by project operators.
The report is published at a crucial time as the project consortium led by Pluspetrol is seeking approval for a massive planned expansion. These plans are currently on standby as project operators await formal approval from Peru’s Ministry of Culture which has already withheld endorsement on two separate occasions in part because of the risks the project poses to isolated peoples . However, the project now appears to be on the brink of being approved as on the 13th January 2014 Pluspetrol formally responded to the 3 outstanding ‘observations’ made by the Vice-Ministry of Inter-culturality.
The study draws on a variety of sources including, amongst others, the reports of government ministries and project operators, the project’s own environmental impact assessment (EIA), and its financial backers the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), many of which highlight that the project’s massive expansion plans are likely to intensify these impacts for isolated peoples. As a result, the expansion plans are liable to result in a range of impacts including further undesired contacts, increased epidemics and death rates, and reduced access to game, fish stocks, gardens and the forest for vital subsistence activities. Continue reading